Wednesday, July 21, 2010

At the Intersection

The question is not "to cross or not to cross" but rather, which way to cross.
.

*Please ignore the appalling-ness of the drawing, I never use Paint and I cannot draw for nuts and nor am I extremely computer literate.

So let me explain the diagram. You've arrived at the intersection where the pedestrian lights to cross horizontally is about to turn green. There presents 2 options...

Option #1
You cross at the lights horizontally and then wait for the lights again to cross vertically for destination.

If you pick this option, you wouldn't have to wait for the lights initially but the wait for the vertical lights is unknown but with a definite value.

Option #2
You wait for the vertical lights to turn, cross and then jaywalk across the road horizontally for destination.

If you pick this option, you would have to wait for the lights initially, then you may/may not have to wait to cross the road horizontally depending on the traffic density which is unknown and with no set value.

Both ways will evenutally get you to your destination.
~~~

This isn't a trick question, it's just a thought I had when I was confronted with this situation. It's kind of like an everyday analogy of life in general. We approach intersections everyday and within a set time frame, we make a choice about which way we would go. The choice we make depends largely on our priorities and past experiences/knowledge.

Say if I was in a hurry, I would perhaps pick option #2 becuase it would save me the wait on the second light and I know that I am an experienced jaywalker there is a higher possibility of me crossing the road even in high traffic density (true because I come from China where people compete with cars on the roads).

But if I was just going for a stroll on a Sunday afternoon and not in a hurry, I may be more likely to choose option #1 because I don't want to take the risk of possibly being hit by a car. Plus it's more relaxing to walk slowly than to rush.

Perhaps there even exists a 3rd, 4th or even 5th option that I have not seen. Who knows.

The juggling of all criteria in one's mind is a complex process and takes time. Alas, time is not always on our side and the choices we make sometimes is rushed and not well thought out. Or maybe we've had too much time on our hands and have over-thought about our options. Either way, there ain't no way back, even if we backtrack to the original spot, the situation presented to us is not the same. The time of occurence is different, the traffic density is different, your mindset is different, your body is feeling differently - all these things will change the outcome.

As Eason sings: "That's just life". Take it or leave it.

2 comments:

  1. too long, not reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always surprising me :)
    It's very common this kind of behavior among shy or perfectionist people... but with time you improve and start to improvise. Already I'm feeling a change of you... skype sometime!
    And you and the fucking terrorist owe me a picture!!
    ;D besos!

    ReplyDelete