Sunday, August 29, 2010

Just Another Day

Today was not exactly eventful but several small things made me extremely happy. One of those things was walking into a souvenir shop in San Francisco's Chinatown and hearing one of my favourite songs being played.

杨千嬅 的 笑中有淚

Can't say I can relate much to the lyrics but I loved the Music Box album by Miriam. Actually, that was the first Miriam album I ever owned. Neglected for years because I had the bias thought that Chinese music was much superior to English music. All this has changed now. I now listen to mostly Chinese music and a lot less English music. I figured a lot of it just comes down to habit.

I love Miriam for her outlook on life, and even more so her contradictions. It only proves she is human. She once said: 贏係贏自己,輸係輸自己。还有:生有限,活無限。其实千嬅有很多金句,很多都很实用,有起发性。

Another thing that I remembered today as I walked through the (HUGE) campus of Stanford was being told by Aereas that "you don't want to take bits and pieces from other people's thoughts, you want to create something of your own" when he was talking to me about what I should be doing for my research project. That sort of made me admit that I've been playing mix-and-match with a lot of the things I do. It's time to research and create my own.

And I've lost track on what the point of this entry was. Typical. Well, relating back to the title then, this was just another day in a foreign city with the same skeleton of thoughts but small adjustments are being made. I guess the message is, it doesn't matter where you are, who you are with, your thoughts are your own to temper with. As much as the environment is changing, if you don't want to change, nothing can change you. That is just an inherent stubbornness that all humans have.

1 comment:

  1. "it doesn't matter where you are, who you are with, your thoughts are your own to temper with. As much as the environment is changing, if you don't want to change, nothing can change you." - Totally agreed. =) on the side note tho, how can u be bothered putting those labels on everytime ?! hahaha may be im just super lazy :P

    ReplyDelete