Saturday, September 4, 2010

Coach

Nope, not that kind of coach, I'm talking about THE Coach. You know, the really famous, expensive brand for handbags, wallets etc. Well, the story is that yesterday I (well we because it was me and my dad) managed to purchase 14 Coach items at the outlet. It was insanity I tell you. Absolute insanity. First off, I have never in my life carried so many handbags in one hand. In fact, I have never even been shopping for a handbag before. The one and only handbag I own (incidentally, it is a Coach) is one my mum got me a few months ago when she went shopping so I didn't exactly shop for it.

It was insane because we bought so much at once. It was insane how many other people were there also going crazy over handbags. It was insane that my mum insisted that I call her to confirm what styles I got even if it was in the middle of the night in Australia. And it was. I called her at 4am. And many phone calls/texts followed such that it lasted til 7am and she was still texting me about the handbags. I'm pretty sure she had work that day. It was also insane how much money was spent on these handbags. I mean sure they look good, they're fashionable, they're versatile but really? People would spend thousands of dollars on these things? At once too? The last time I spent that much money at once was when I was paying for my car rego and insurance. The time before that was buying graduation gifts for friends.

That got me thinking - what would happen if the money was spent on something else? Something a little more productive? I guess you could argue that all this spending is stimulating the economy (not that I would even care that much about the American economy since I don't live here permanently). And I'm not even trying to be righteous here (because let's face it, I'm just a huge hypocrite) since I have the same desire to splurge, just not on handbags. But if we just put away $5/$10 every week... At least that was my reasoning for convincing myself that I could afford to make a small monthly donation to the Heart Foundation.

I'm in the pun mood so I could say the the title could be a reference to my "coaching" of how to control your desire to splurge but you really cannot call it that because this is not even close to being some kind of preaching, just random thoughts I have sometimes. Ok, I think it's better if I just leave if as Coach, the handbag brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment