Monday, September 13, 2010

In Sheer Boredom

I'm dying from major laughing right now. I just cannot... This is too hilarious. Read this (only if you're bored too). I'm loving the title "Emancipation of Moo Moo". That's just too much for me to take, I cracked so hard at this title. Then there is this. I am amused to say the least. Speaks so much truth.

In all seriousness though, THIS, is what I loved the most. I happened to come across it while reading the first link I posted above. Sometimes you just have to be glad at coincidences.That post goes beyond music, it's about humanity.

Read this too (and the comments if you have time).

Having spent half my life in Australia, I have not really had much problems with the whole skin colour/race issues. I'm not saying Australia don't have its own issues (the most prominent would of course be issues in regard to Aboriginals). Here in America though, skin/race is a huge issue. I had my first taste of this at UCSD in March. That incident caused so much drama - the protests, the uproars, the support. I'm not what is sadder - the fact that someone legitimately didn't realise that hanging that thing in the library would be an offense or that out of a school of 30,000 people, only that many people showed up for support. What someone said onstage was very true, despite all that was happening, people were still going around like nothing is happening, walking around the mass of people to get to class. Now I'm not saying that education is not important, but this event is education of real life shit that they don't teach you at school, shit that makes you double take and really think how much society has really progressed.

If you don't know (and I'm sure many of you won't), MC is biracial. You might think that's not as much of a problem as being completely African American, but it is. I might even begin to say that it is slightly worse for them than for African Americans.

“There’s never been a time when I didn’t spell out exactly what I am. But for some, I was still just a white girl. To others, I was a black girl who was just passing… It’s easy to take shots at me. No one feels like they need to protect me… If I was two shades darker, there’d have been people protesting for me.”
  -MC

You only need to do a little research on her childhood and past and listen to some of her album songs to realise how much effect this has on her. Nonetheless, this post is not to sympathise with MC, it is to question why people do this. Are we not all human beings? Made from albeit not the same DNA sequence but the same basic building blocks? Do we not all share this planet? Do we not all breath air, drink water and eat? Do we all not have hearts that beat til the day we die? I simply do not understand. I understand that not everyone's capacity to love and embrace is the same, but that does not mean we have to hate and discriminate. What good does it do to you? Apparently it makes people feel better and safer about themselves. God, what kind of sick minded people are these? I don not study psychology so I don't know the explanation behind that reasoning. What I do know is that people suffered from this, still do.

Funny how frustrated some people get just thinking about this. Yet I'm not sure what can be done except to live by example. But how many people can you affect? You must be delusional if you think that you alone with your actions can influence the rest of the world. The butterfly effect is only valid in selective cases. I'm being not being negative, just making a rational judgement based on history. As much contribution as Martin Luther King Jr. has made in his living years, the problem although appears less severe on the surface, still boils underneath. So really, what can you do?

There are other issues other than race, hungry and thirsty anyone? I don't even want to start on this. While half the world lives in luxury, yes luxury, relatively speaking (which is the true concept of luxury anyway, no?), the other half barely has enough food and water to feed their hunger let alone be full. Scientifically speaking, why has the world of luxury distribution not reached an equilibrium? I'm not saying that I've done anything big about this, nor have I given up obtaining any of my luxury goods to help the cause but I'm not ignorant and oblivious to the problem. There are many in the world who are, these people need some real education. At least being conscious of it will make you do something, however small, about it. Perhaps for those, ignorance is bliss.

What can you do? Do exactly what Martin Luther King did, do as much as you can. You may not make a difference, you might affect a handful of people, or you could influence the whole world. Whatever the case, never give up, I ain't giving up, I refuse.

2 comments:

  1. If you switch the N and A around in DNA, you get my nickname in capitals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes because it is now called DNNA, Dann!

    ReplyDelete