Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Facebook

Facebook asks: "What's on your mind?". Funny that a computer program should ask you that. What's even funnier is that people actually respond to this question posed by the program. Whatever happened to in-person communication?

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I had refused to get a Facebook account because I have never liked social networking websites and because I don't like jumping on bandwagons. I eventually got an account when I came on exchange to the US because I saw the upside of it being a good communications revenue for newly made acquitances. Now though, things are getting a little out of hand and Facebook has become a daily habit. I don't think that is a good thing at all.

Firstly, you can't really have a proper conversation with someone on Facebook. Secondly, some things should be kept private. Thirdly, why is it your business what people are doing with their lives? In saying that, if you want a particular person to know what you're up to, why not just email them? The whole world doesn't have to know. Fourthly, really? You're friends with that many people? Do you even talk to half of them? The way some people add friends makes it seem more like a popularity contest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/business/16digi.html

~~~

Okay, I'm done with both procrastinating and being a hypocrite.

1 comment:

  1. OBJECTION!!!

    You went on bebo.com and msn.livespace and MSN itself in past! The 3 social networks through the use of internet and you are saying "...I have never liked social networking websites..."

    *&%# MY BRAIN HURTS OF IRONY AND CONTRADICTIONS!

    ReplyDelete